The healthiest mini gluten-free vegan baked donuts made with oat flour, sweetened with dates, and coated with any one of 10+ refined-sugar alternatives!
A powdered sugar donut without any sugar? Blasphemy!
I apologize to all traditional donuts and donut eaters I may have offended, but these very unorthodox Mini Powdered Vegan Baked Donuts happened, and…well…I can’t keep this powdery sweet secret to myself!
I probably already offended some just by spelling DOughNUT as donut. But who says ugh in the middle of a donut? Certainly not me.
Vegan Baked Donuts
Glazed donuts are great, but those tubes of white cakey sweet snow-covered mini donuts were always my favorite. I could never eat them without my entire face getting involved–sugar everywhere!
The last donut recipe on FF was over a year ago–this little cinnamon coconut sugar number. But those weren’t fruit sweetened nor were they made with oat flour, so of course that needed to happen. This new peek-through-pastry is gluten-free, oil-free, and fruit-sweetened.
Dates are an easy way to sweeten the actual donut naturally, but the coating is a little trickier. Of course you can just use powdered sugar, but I experimented with lots of different powdery coating options.
Here are some ideas listed in order form most normal to most out there…
–Coconut milk powder or soy milk powder
-Date sugar or coconut sugar blitzed in a blender
-Unsweetened shredded coconut blitzed in a blender
-Vanilla protein powder (I love Ka’chava)
-Tapioca starch (not super flavorful, but not bad either)
No donut pan? You can always make donut holes in a mini muffin pan. Or enter my GIVEAWAY below for a mini donut pan and then you will have the ability to donut for the rest of your life!
In the video you’ll see my flexy red donut pan, which I am really not a fan of. It’s just always flopping and flexing all over the place threatening to dump batter on the floor. I don’t want to curse you with that silicon structure-less situation, so I’m giving away a much more reliable donut pan: the Mini Wilton Non-Stick Donut Pan.
This post is not sponsored or anything like that, I just know the world of baking possibilities that opens up with a donut pan and I want you to be able to make healthy homemade vegan baked donuts too!
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 12-14 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- Powdered sugar for coating (or see other options above)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Blend the dates and non-dairy milk on high until there are no chunks of date remaining.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and tapioca starch. Stir.
- Add the vanilla extract, lemon juice, and date mixture. Mix till well combined.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled mini muffin pan. If you don’t have a donut pan you can use a mini muffin pan to make donut holes.
- Bake for 10 mins at 350F.
- Remove from the oven. Cool. Then dip in the powdered sugar to coat right before eating.
>>> Pin It <<<