Blueberry muffins are good, but CHOCOLATE blueberry muffins with nicecream sandwiched in the middle are a whole different very delicious story! Get the recipe plus 6 other vegan summer blueberry recipes.
The blueberries have been especially tasty this year, don’t you think?
I’ve munched more of them this year than any other and enjoyed every bite. A few times I downed so many at once my mind started to wander to the girl in Willy Wonka who turned blueberry and had to be rolled away. I don’t think I was at serious berry-morphing risk, but one has to wonder.
Or maybe the blueberries have always been this good and it’s me that has changed. I used to think they were flavorless and gritty. I would always opt for berries of the red and seed-speckled variety instead. Eating a high fruit diet has sharpened my tastebuds for subtle fruit flavors, making me much more appreciative of all things naturally sweet.
Also, seeking out high quality berries makes a tremendous difference. You can’t beat those freshly picked, organic, extra sweet ones! The blueberry bushes in my yard are not reliable at all. They seem stuck on producing these little purple berry beginnings that never actually ripen fully. Or maybe the squirrels and birds steal them before they have the chance. Either way, thank goodness for farmers markets and pick your own farms.
Blueberry Blogger Collaboration
To celebrate these sweet summer gems, I joined up with a group of amazing bloggers to bring you a recipe collection all revolving around B L U E B E R R I E S !
And we somehow miraculously managed to not overlap at all, so that means 7 completely unique, totally delicious blueberry treats. Blueberries are just that versatile and these ladies are just that creative.
There is a delightfully quick and crumble-topped Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake in a Mug from Athletic Avocado.
And one of my favorite quick breads gone berry with this Vegan Blueberry Zucchini Bread from Emilie Eats.
And breakfast-approved berry-studded Blueberry Cashew Breakfast Cookies from The Coconut Diaries.
And Matcha Frosted Blueberry Cupcakes from Love Me, Feed Me with their gorgeously-green perfectly-piped tops.
And daintily decorated Blueberry Granola Tarts from Choosing Chia.
And irresistibly easy bite-sized berry bliss in the form of Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Dough Bites from Healthy Helper.
Chocolate Blueberry Muffins Turned Ice Cream Sandwiches
For my own very berry contribution, I took the humble blueberry muffin and gave it a chocolatey twist and a creamy filling. These are Chocolate Blueberry Muffin Ice Cream Sandwiches and trust me when I tell you they are just as yummy as that name is long. A mouthful of a name for a mouthful of a muffin!
The chocolate blueberry muffins alone are something to crave. Blueberries and chocolate are another favorite pair of mine. I do not know why it took me 22 years to put cacao powder IN the blueberry muffin batter! I wouldn’t blame you if you just left the frozen blueberries and bananas in the freezer and inhale these chocolate blueberry muffins filling-free.
But the nicecream in the middle makes these muffins especially summery and especially scrumptious!
Enough berry babbling, let’s get to this sweet berry sandwich situation…
>>> Pin It <<<Print
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 tbsps tapioca flour
- 2 tbsps cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- Ice Cream
- 3-4 frozen bananans
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Muffins: preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients except the frozen blueberries. Stir to combine.
- Divide into 6-8 lined or lightly oiled muffin tins.
- Add 4-5 blueberries on top of each muffin and press them in. (Adding the blueberries on top keeps the batter from turning purple which looks really ugly with the chocolate.)
- Bake for 25 mins at 350F. Let them cool, then slice in half with a serrated knife.
- Ice Cream: Blend the bananas and blueberries in a blender or food processor until smooth. Working quickly, spoon the ice cream onto the bottom half of each muffin, smush down with the top of the muffin, and (optionally) coat the sides with chocolate chips. You can use the muffin pan to build them in too.
- Freeze immediately for 30 mins. Enjoy!