I’ve been kind of obsessed with cereal desserts lately. Just for about the past 21 years or so.
I don’t know why I love them so much. I mean they are usually ridiculously fast and easy. And they’re typically light and and crunchy. And they often require licking delicious messy fingers after making and after eating. And they are always customizable with mix-ins. Nope, can’t figure out what’s appealing about all that.
So cereal isn’t exactly a ‘whole food’, but there are definitely healthier options when it comes to boxed breakfast crunchies. The less sugar and flavorings the better. And plain cereals are more fun anyways because you can flavor, top, and tasty them up yourself! I like to think of them in 3 categories: Os, rice crisps, and flakes.
I have tried many, many healthy cereal brands to find the fewest ingredient, best tasting options for each category, and here are my current top picks:
– One Degree Organic Sprouted Ancient Grain Os. Great taste, great crunch, and I love that they are sweetened with coconut sugar. Note that they are not gluten free though.
– Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal. This is my go-to cereal, I always have a box around. There are only 3 ingredients: brown rice, brown rice syrup, and salt! They do come in a salt-free version too, but I think the salted ones have a better, more balanced flavor.
– Barbara’s Bakery Organic Corn Flakes. These are made with non-GMO corn and sweetened with fruit juice, which I love! They are very light, like traditional corn flakes, not thick like many other healthy flake cereals.
Now onto these Strawberry O Bars!
I don’t think I need to say much to convince you, strawberries + chocolate + crunch is an awesome combo and everybody knows it. Making them is easy, and involves lots of sticky chocolate fingers to “clean”. After baking, snack them, share them, don’t try to save them for next week. These bars don’t last very long without turning soggy (it’s the strawberries’ fault), so devouring them within a couple of days is a requirement!
Yields 9 bars
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook/Chill Time
40 minTotal Time
3 cups O cereal
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
2 tbsps cacao powder
6 medium strawberries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cereal and cacao powder until evenly coated.
- Add the brown rice syrup, and mix until everything is chocolatey and sticky and messy.
- Add the chopped strawberries and toss to combine.
- Line a 8x8" square pan with parchment paper. Transfer the chocolate O mixture into the pan. Press down firmly. You can use a piece of wax paper on top so it won't stick to your fingers.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 300F.
- Cool, then slice.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days. They will become soggy if stored too long due to the moisture in the berries.
Are you a cereal dessert lover or a serial dessert devourer?