Make your own homemade Clif Bars! This gluten-free, soy-free, vegan recipe makes for an easy healthy snack, plus the flavor is easy to customize with different mix-ins or even a high protein option.
Request for a homemade Clif Bar recipe? I can do that! But I better actually try them first.
Until about 4 days ago I had never had a Clif Bar. I was always more of a Lunabar or Larabar kinda girl. Larabars are still my favorite, but I’m always willing to snack for the sake of recipe research!
To be thorough, I wanted to try every flavor with chocolate chip in the name. So I sampled the chocolate chip and coconut chocolate chip (they were out of chocolate chip peanut). I do like chocolate and coconut together usually, but not in this form. So I went with just straight chocolate chip for my homemade Clif Bars.
Half a bite into my Clif Bar sampling sesh I already completely understand the appeal of these things. They are chewy and crunchy and chocolatey in all the right places.
My tastebuds loved them. My stomach did NOT! I’ve had issues with soy in the past, but I never imagined these things would give me such an immediate reaction. My stomach hurt for about 2 hours afterwards. Good thing I can make them at home and soy-free because I will probably not be chowing down on the store-bought kind again for a while.
About these Homemade Clif Bars
– They are gluten-free and vegan of course.
– They are low fat and nut-free with no nut butters or oils needed. I used extra date paste to take care of all the binding.
– They contain oat bran for more fiber. If you don’t have it or don’t care to use it, sub oat flour instead.
– Since Clif Bars are meant to be a protein bar, I added some plant-based protein powder. I went with my favorite brand, Kachava. You can use any unflavored or vanilla vegan protein powder, or leave it out and substitute with oat flour instead.
– Or you could make them peanut butter chocolate chip by using powdered peanut butter in place of the protein powder. It will add protein and delicious PB flavor!
– Crunchy bits are a must, so I used brown rice crisp cereal to recreate that texture. Puffed rice cereal will not work as well as the crispy kind.
– They are SWEET! Dates + coconut nectar makes these quite sweet, but I was trying to stay as true to Clif Bar flavor as possible and the first ingredients is a sweetener.
– They are delicious!
Now I’ve DIYed them, it’s your turn. And if you do, post a pic on Instagram with #feastingonfruit so I can see those chocolate chip snack bar beauties!Make your own homemade Clif Bars! This #vegan & soy-free recipe is healthier and just as delicious as store-boughtClick To Tweet
DIY Chocolate Chip Clif Bars
- 12 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice crisp cereal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup vegan vanilla protein powder or oat flour if you prefer
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 tbsps flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 300F.
Blend all the wet ingredients until smooth.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
Add the wet to the dry. Mix.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Shape the dough into a long log that is about 3 inches wide and about 1/2 inch high.
Using a knife or a pastry cutter, divide the log into 8 bars (see video if you are confused).
Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 20 mins at 300F.
Cool. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
*This post contains affiliate links. Purchasing via my affiliate links supports more great content on this site.