These healthy oat flour scones are naturally gluten-free and oil-free made with coconut butter or low-fat with banana for a crumbly, subtly-sweet, baked breakfast treat!
- 2 ½ cups rolled or quick oats
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup coconut butter (*see notes for a fat-free option)
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- Optional: coconut butter glaze
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a high speed blender, grind the oats into a fine flour.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the coconut sugar, baking powder, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice. Mix briefly to combine.
- Soften the coconut butter by microwaving for 15-20 seconds. It should be easy to scoop out, not dry and crumbly. Add the coconut butter (or chilled banana). Use your hands to work it in until the texture is crumbly with small pebble-sized pieces.
- Add half of the non-dairy milk. Use your hands to mix/knead the dough. Add the rest of the milk slowly until you have a slightly sticky dough. Do not over work it, knead with fingertips just until combined.
- Add the frozen berries (I pulsed frozen strawberries in a blender for smaller pieces) and mix.
- Shape the dough into a circle at least 1 inch high and about 8 inches in diameter.
- Cut into 6 triangles and transfer to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes at 425F or until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from the pan, cool briefly, and then enjoy plain or with topping/spread of choice!
*To make them fat-free, replace the coconut butter with 1 medium ripe and chilled banana. You may need to decrease the amount of nondairy milk slightly with this option, start with 1/2 cup and adjust as needed.