Cinnamon-spiced and sticky-sweet, this gluten-free vegan monkey bread is the ultimate pull-apart treat made with medjool dates, oats, and chia seeds!
- 3 cups (300g) rolled oats (*)
- 1/3 cup (55g) chia seeds
- 1 cup (200g or about 12) medjool dates, (pitted)
- 1 1/2 cups (345g) full-fat coconut milk (**)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup (130g or about 8) medjool dates, (pitted)
- 2/3 cup (150g) water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a high speed blender, blend the oats and chia seeds until finely ground. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Blend the pitted medjool dates with the coconut milk on high until smooth.
- Add the cinnamon, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Blend briefly to combine.
- Add the date mixture to the dry ingredients and mix/knead to form a sticky moist dough.
- Blend the ingredients for the date coating and transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Break off a chunk of dough and roll it into a ball (about 1″ diameter). Dunk in the date coating and cover on all sides. Transfer to a greased loaf pan (I used this 8×5.5″ glass dish).
- Repeat with the rest of the dough. Spoon any leftover date coating on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F or until golden brown on top and bounces back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. Top with addition date paste, maple syrup, or caramel sauce for extra sweet sticky-ness!
*For a grain-free almond flour version, use THIS recipe but replace the cocoa powder in the bread with an extra 1/2 cup almond flour, and add 1 tbsp cinnamon. Use the coating recipe listed above.
**I do not recommend subbing any other kind of milk. Because the dough has to be thick enough to roll, you need the higher fat content of coconut milk to keep the bread moist after baking.