Halfway Cookie Bars – rich cookie base with melty chocolate chips and meringue baked to golden gooey perfection – but vegan, gluten-free, and healthier!
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup (85g) almond butter
- 1/3 cup (80g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup (70g) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (85g) Hu Kitchen Gems
- 3/4 cup (180g) aquafaba*
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (85g), powdered**
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Stir together the almond butter, applesauce, prepared flax egg, coconut sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the oat flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spread into the bottom of a greased baking dish (I used this 9×6″ dish, but an 8×8″ square works too)
- Top with the Hu Kitchen Gems. Press in gently. Set aside.
- In a dry clean bowl, begin whipping the aquafaba with a hand mixer or stand mixer. Beat to soft peaks.
- Add the cream of tartar. Continue beating for another minute or so.
- Add the powdered coconut sugar slowly while beating one tablespoon at a time until you have added the full 1/2 cup. Continuing beating to stiff peaks.
- Spread on top of the cookie bars.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350ºF.
- Cool completely before slicing and eating (or even refrigerate overnight, I love them cold!)
*This is the liquid drained from one 15oz can of no salt added chickpeas
**Grind in a high-speed blender to a fine powder to avoid collapsing the meringue. You can use cane sugar or powdered sugar instead.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 27g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, meringue, aquafaba, chocolate chip, egg free, dairy free, baking, dessert