- 1 medium yellow potato (about 250g)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup plant milk
- 2 tsps yeast
- 2 tbsps coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour (*see notes for an oat flour option)
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk (*see notes for substitution)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup potato puree from above (*see notes for substitution)
- Potato puree: Cut the potato into large chunks. Combine potato and 1 cup water in medium saucepan.
- Cover and boil until fork tender.
- Transfer potato and cooking water to a blender. Blend until smooth. You will only need 1/2 cup of the puree for this recipe.
- Dough: Heat the milk until it is warm to the touch but not hot (~110°F). Add the coconut sugar and yeast. Stir. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until foamy on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, psyllium husk, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Once the yeast is foamy, add it to the dry ingredients along with the vinegar and potato puree.
- Mix with your hands until everything is combined and you have a very sticky dough.
- With slightly wet hands, divide the dough into 6 balls. Arrange on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Fill a large pan halfway with water. Place in the oven on the bottom rack. Preheat the oven to 425?.
- Remove the towel covering the buns. Place them on the top rack of the oven (be careful of the steam that will come out when you open the oven door). Bake for approximately 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, cool briefly, and enjoy. They are best within the first 24-48 hours.
Oat flour instead of rice: Use 1 1/2 cups oat flour instead of the white and brown rice flours. Increase tapioca flour to 1/2 cup.
Ground flax instead of psyllium husk:Use 1/4 cup ground flax seed meal in place of the 1 tbsp psyllium husk.
Yogurt instead of potato puree: Use 1/2 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy yogurt (I used coconut yogurt) in place of the potato puree.