My favorite vegan chocolate ice cream! Made with coconut and almond milk, cacao powder, maple syrup, and sea salt. Dairy-free, healthier than most, and SO YUM!
- Place the bowl of the ice cream maker in the freezer the night before.
- Blend all the ingredients until well combined.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat stirring frequently. Once it is boiling, keep whisking for 2-3 minutes until thick.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl or container. Place in the refrigerator until completely cool (about 4 hours minimum).
- Once the mixture is cool, churn in the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a shallow dish and freeze for 2-3 hours until firm enough to scoop.
- It will keep in the freezer for a few days, but become less creamy with time.
*I used a gum-free variety, but with or without guar gum is fine. Shake the can before using so you get both the cream and the water.
**Any kind of non-dairy milk from a carton is fine. Or you can use light canned coconut milk or homemade almond/nut milk for an even richer ice cream.
***You can sub arrowroot or cornstarch, but I find tapioca to yield the best texture.
****Personally I find 2 tbsp to be the perfect amount, but use more/less depending on how sweet you want it. You can use other liquid sweeteners instead, or even coconut sugar.
I like to add 2 scoops of collagen peptides (not vegan), but that is completely optional and won’t affect the flavor or taste at all.
- Serving Size: 2 scoops
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Protein: 5
Keywords: vegan, chocolate, dessert, frozen, summer, easy