I made a potato salad video recipe a while back, but I love that recipe so much I thought it deserved a spot on the blog too. And I’m not the only fan of this unusually dressed potato salad, I’ve gotten lots of great feedback from others who have tried it too.
Since Christmas is fast-approaching, I decked out my cauli-cream potato salad in red and green. New potatoes + lacinato kale + cauli-cream = Vegan Low Fat Red and Greens Potato Salad!
I know, I know potato salad is supposed to be reserved for summer picnics and potlucks, however, in my house we have a slightly different tradition. When I was growing up, Christmas Day dinner was a toss up, but Christmas Eve dinner was always gumbo and potato salad. This cajun-inspired tradition came from my mom’s side of the family. We’ve dropped the gumbo part, since it was far from vegan, but this potato salad is a perfect Christmas side dish.
- 6-8 red potatoes
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 5-6 stalks of lacinato kale
- Juice of half a lemon (about 2 tsps)
- 2 tbsps chopped scallion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the cauliflower and puree it to make cauliflower cream. Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend again to combine
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks. Boil the potatoes until tender.
- Thinly slice (or chiffonade if you want to be fancy) the kale.
- A couple of minutes before the potatoes are done, place the kale in a steamer basket on top of the potatoes. Steam until it is bright green and slightly softened.
- Toss the potatoes, kale, and scallion with the cauli-cream.
- I prefer it chilled, but it’s good warm too.
Do you have any unusual holiday traditions, food related or otherwise?