- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup flour (I used oat, but AP works too)
- 3–4 dates
- 2 tsps cacao powder (or cocoa or carob)
- In a food processor, combine the applesauce, coconut sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and process until it forms a ball. If it is too sticky to roll, add more flour if it is too dry add more applesauce.
- Roll into balls and set aside.
- To make the chocolate chunks, chop up the dates into small pieces. Dry, harder dates work well for this.
- Sprinkle them with cacao powder, and toss to coat.
- Press 2-3 chocolate chunks into each ball. If your dates are quite soft, refrigerating the chocolate chunks first will make them easier to press in. If the balls become misshapen, roll them between your hands again.
- Enjoy, and keep the extras in the fridge.