A healthier take on a date tart with a luxuriously creamy but sugar-free filling surrounded by a buttery rich but oil-free almond crust and crumble!
- 3 cups almond flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 8-10 pitted Medjool dates (for layering in the bottom, chopped)
- 1 ½ cup pitted Medjool dates (about 15)
- 2 cups lite canned coconut milk*
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 ½ tbsp . cornstarch**
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour and maple syrup. Mix with a fork adding the water 1 tablespoon at a time until the texture is clumpy and holds together when squeezed.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into a tart pan, making sure to cover all sides evenly and reserving 1/3 of the dough for the topping.
- Spread the chopped dates into the bottom of crust.
- Blend the 1 1/2 cup of dates with the coconut milk, vanilla, salt, and cornstarch until very smooth.
- Pour into the crust. Spread evenly, covering the chopped dates.
- Sprinkle on the remaining crust mixture.
- Bake for approximately 45 mins at 375F.
- Let it cool, then chill overnight before slicing and eating.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
*You can use a different non-dairy milk, but the light coconut milk will yield a richer, creamier texture for the filling.
**You can sub arrowroot starch but it may affect the texture slightly.